-The Thing- [Revival]

The Thing is amongst us.

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None


[ View the whole list ]


Most users ever online was 28 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:33 pm

Latest topics

» YouTube
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:05 am by Datasick

» Project Showcase?
Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:00 am by Datasick

» Photography
Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 am by Datasick

» Wandering Critters to serve as food for the Thing.
Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:06 am by Probe

» Major Updates?
Sun Jul 09, 2017 10:40 pm by Durzan

» Release 0.281 to 0.286 [Overdue Update]
Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:28 pm by Durzan

» It would be nice if we had people starting lobbies
Sun May 14, 2017 11:23 am by Durzan

» ERROR MESSAGE
Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:06 pm by Durzan


    More Comms Towers

    Share
    avatar
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 52
    Forum Points (FP) : 180
    Forum Rating (FR) : 0
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    More Comms Towers

    Post by Durzan on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:04 am

    Here's a thought...

    What if there was more than one Comms tower in a map? Lets say there are two comms towers in a map. As long as one is still functioning, the timer continues to count down. If one is destroyed, the countdown speed is halved. If both are destroyed, the timer stops.

    Thoughts?
    avatar
    Phantom01
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 65
    Forum Points (FP) : 133
    Forum Rating (FR) : 4
    Join date : 2015-02-11

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Phantom01 on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:28 am

    I think this would work really well for maps with a clear bias for the thing... ie. Aquilon. However, I don't think this should be universal for all maps. Some maps are already hard enough for the thing to win on if there marines at least half know what they are doing... like Ragnov.
    avatar
    Perplexate
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

    Posts : 219
    Forum Points (FP) : 455
    Forum Rating (FR) : 11
    Join date : 2014-12-22
    Age : 29
    Location : Fighting

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Perplexate on Sun Mar 22, 2015 7:15 am

    Lol what? Ragnov is the most balanced map by far.



    _________________
    Min Choshech Ani Lavoe

    From the Darkness I come

    Those who are heartless once cared too much
    avatar
    Phantom01
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 65
    Forum Points (FP) : 133
    Forum Rating (FR) : 4
    Join date : 2015-02-11

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Phantom01 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:53 am

    Perplexate wrote:Lol what? Ragnov is the most balanced map by far.


    I would disagree and agree. If there is a short time limit the map is extremely marine sided. Marines can always just simply stim away, lock, and repeat. Combine this with the constant camping of comms and the map is suddenly impossible to win on given a short time span. Give the thing more time to break down doors, deceive, break down marines camping, etc. and the map becomes very balanced. Adding a 2nd comms would extremely favor the first option of the two given and make the map more unbalanced then it would balanced.
    avatar
    Durzan
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 52
    Forum Points (FP) : 180
    Forum Rating (FR) : 0
    Join date : 2014-12-23

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Durzan on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:40 am

    Can we get Vics opinion in here plz?
    avatar
    Proteo
    Captain
    Captain

    Posts : 215
    Forum Points (FP) : 520
    Forum Rating (FR) : 7
    Join date : 2015-01-03

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Proteo on Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:14 pm

    Phantom01 wrote:
    Perplexate wrote:Lol what? Ragnov is the most balanced map by far.


    I would disagree and agree. If there is a short time limit the map is extremely marine sided. Marines can always just simply stim away, lock, and repeat. Combine this with the constant camping of comms and the map is suddenly impossible to win on given a short time span. Give the thing more time to break down doors, deceive, break down marines camping, etc. and the map becomes very balanced. Adding a 2nd comms would extremely favor the first option of the two given and make the map more unbalanced then it would balanced.

    Give the thing >4 mins on any map means an almost guaranteed marine victory, so long as they aren't utterly and completely retarded.
    Ragnov is balanced, the time vic has coded should be different not only based on the Time Selected but the map as well. Ragnov, at the least, doubling any time under Medium/Long
    avatar
    Phantom01
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 65
    Forum Points (FP) : 133
    Forum Rating (FR) : 4
    Join date : 2015-02-11

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Phantom01 on Tue Mar 24, 2015 1:19 am

    Proteo wrote:
    Phantom01 wrote:
    Perplexate wrote:Lol what? Ragnov is the most balanced map by far.


    I would disagree and agree. If there is a short time limit the map is extremely marine sided. Marines can always just simply stim away, lock, and repeat. Combine this with the constant camping of comms and the map is suddenly impossible to win on given a short time span. Give the thing more time to break down doors, deceive, break down marines camping, etc. and the map becomes very balanced. Adding a 2nd comms would extremely favor the first option of the two given and make the map more unbalanced then it would balanced.

    Give the thing >4 mins on any map means an almost guaranteed marine victory, so long as they aren't utterly and completely retarded.
    Ragnov is balanced, the time vic has coded should be different not only based on the Time Selected but the map as well. Ragnov, at the least, doubling any time under Medium/Long

    Yes, but my point is that Ragnov is the extreme example of this. I would argue that anything at or under even 8-9 minutes on Ragnov is simply not enough time with the exception of when the marines are retarded, as you stated. You can never get anybody in the open. There is always a simple route of escape.
    avatar
    Datasick
    Game Moderator
    Game Moderator

    Posts : 431
    Forum Points (FP) : 976
    Forum Rating (FR) : 12
    Join date : 2014-12-12
    Location : Everywhere

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Datasick on Wed Mar 25, 2015 12:30 am

    No


    _________________
    Community YouTube Videos https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_bn8T_fTG7FWYnPXyn7foQ/videos

    Submit Footage to thethingrevivalvideos@gmail.com (Upload to Google Drive, Mediafire, etc. and then send that file link)

    Imgur http://datademon.imgur.com/
    avatar
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

    Posts : 472
    Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24
    Join date : 2014-11-27

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Probe on Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:11 am

    Real quick: no way.

    However, if we had 2 comms and if one dies the timer stops completely, I can get behind it.

    The main issue is 2 comms means camp one comm and make the game go on FOREEVVVVERR. 2 comms means marines have to have both repaired so you at least get a cycle of them moving between them. Notably, though, phantom pointed out the issue with 2 comms on something like aquilon. Then again, to be fair, the maps are still under construction and they WILL be changed to reflect the game balance and new design options. 

    BTW Ragnov is balanced if you have time. If there is no time you're fucked as thing. Period.
    avatar
    Phantom01
    Corporal
    Corporal

    Posts : 65
    Forum Points (FP) : 133
    Forum Rating (FR) : 4
    Join date : 2015-02-11

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Phantom01 on Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:44 am

    Probe wrote:Real quick: no way.

    However, if we had 2 comms and if one dies the timer stops completely, I can get behind it.

    The main issue is 2 comms means camp one comm and make the game go on FOREEVVVVERR. 2 comms means marines have to have both repaired so you at least get a cycle of them moving between them. Notably, though, phantom pointed out the issue with 2 comms on something like aquilon. Then again, to be fair, the maps are still under construction and they WILL be changed to reflect the game balance and new design options. 

    BTW Ragnov is balanced if you have time. If there is no time you're fucked as thing. Period.

    ^ Thank you for agreeing.
    avatar
    Probe
    Developer
    Developer

    Posts : 472
    Forum Points (FP) : 1243
    Forum Rating (FR) : 24
    Join date : 2014-11-27

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Probe on Tue Mar 31, 2015 12:02 pm

    Guys, please take into account that anything big like another comm tower will reflect through the units as well. The Thing's speed might be nerfed etc to accommodate such a change. In essence, don't worry too too much about balance, just focus on what is fun to play. What ISN'T fun is camping. At it happens because there's nothing to fucking do.

    Sponsored content

    Re: More Comms Towers

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:54 pm